Tkinter wm_withdraw doesn't work

Isaac To Kar Keung kkto at csis.hku.hk
Wed May 23 22:21:39 EDT 2001

    Fredrik> fwiw, in an earlier paragraph, he quoted my Tkinter
    Fredrik> introduction document.  looks like what he really said is
    Fredrik> "don't trust my advice"

Definitely not.  I mention your work because I know the answer is there.
"An Introduction to Tkinter" is definitely a work that should be highly
respected.  The problem is that while the answer of this particular problem,
and a lot of other common problems, are there, there are also a lot of
questions that the work didn't yet document (e.g., the packer), didn't plan
to address (e.g., data format for images, etc), or didn't mention altogether
(e.g., profile reading, stacking model).  This is very reasonable: the work
is "An Introduction to Tkinter", not "A Tkinter manual".  That piece of
information is still only available if you dig into the source of Tkinter
and the manual of Tk.  That's why I say "you have to read the source".  I
still deeply want a "Tkinter manual".

I've been trying to write one, and thus far progress is not as good as I
wanted.  I found that I've mis-understood a lot of concepts in Tk, even
though I know Tk for more than 6 years now.  Thus far I've only partially
documented the Tkinter organization, the widget model and geometry
management aspects.  This partial work can be found in my own page
http://www.csis.hku.hk/~kkto/doc-tkinter/.  I definitely want to hear your
comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Isaac.