Language evaluation article

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 18:25:04 EDT 2001

"Gerrit Muller" <gmuller at worldonline.nl> wrote in message
news:9d9l90$jrh$1 at nereid.worldonline.nl...
> This somewhat outdated article defines the requirements of the author
w.r.t.
> his preferred programming language.
> http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/keith/crisis/
>
> I found this article via the interesting website:
> http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
>
> How would Python 2.1 score w.r.t. the requirements of the author?

His evaluation of Python as reported at
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/keith/crisis/langs/Python.html
might perhaps gain a few minor points if he evaluated 2.1,
but he does mention having to run on DOS, and AFAIK there
is no Python 2.1 for DOS (some 1.5.2, perhaps).

I don't think it would reach O'Caml's score, the only language
I think that he scored higher than Python on his personal
scale -- O'Caml has also grown a bit since he evaluated it,
I think (again, I don't think he can get it for DOS, not in
recent incarnations at least).

It may be that his criteria have changed (he did write years
ago -- do they still have hundreds of DOS boxed around?).

Alex