Redhat 7.1 and Python 2.1

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu May 24 10:32:52 EDT 2001

Pekka Pessi <Pekka.Pessi at nokia.com> writes:
>         RedHat is using Python 1.5.2 in many of its own basic tools and
>         scripts, I think they are afraid of compatibility problems.  Try to

I recall someone from Red Hat saying that they try to preserve binary
compatibility in major releases (6.0 -> 6.1 -> 6.2).  Python 2.1 and
1.5.2 aren't binary compatible, so that would imply that you're not
going to see Python 2.1 in Red Hat Linux until RH 8.0 is released,
which is probably a year away.  (I'd expect a 7.2 release in another 6
months, and then an 8.0.)

In fact Python 2.2 is likely to be the current version at that point,
and hopefully can get into 8.0 instead.

--amk