wanted book recommendation for Object Oriented Programming

Jonathan Feinberg jdf at pobox.com
Tue May 29 09:26:55 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

> Although I've never seen them myself, I've heard nothing but
> good things about a couple books by Timothy Budd.  One was
> titled, I believe, "The Little Smalltalker"

You have conflated two excellent books: "A Little Smalltalk", by
Timothy Budd, and "The Little Schemer" (formerly "The Little LISPer",
a more mellifluous title, if less stricty true), by Matthias Felleisen
and Daniel P. Friedman.  The latter, for those who don't know, is an
extremely deep book, which covers the meaning of computability and
recursion using a small subset of Scheme.  It's one of my favorite
books of any kind.

While I may risk excommunication for saying so, Bruce Eckel's book
"Thinking in Java" is well-steeped in gang of four principles, but is
never too abstract for beginners.  The book is available in full at
this URL:

   http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

Bruce Eckel has apparently fallen in love with Python, and the early
fruits of his fascination can be found here:

   http://www.mindview.net/Books/Python/ThinkingInPython.html

--
Jonathan Feinberg   jdf at pobox.com   Sunny Brooklyn, NY
http://pobox.com/~jdf