real world examples & python

Rob Andrews rob at jam.rr.com
Thu May 31 07:32:26 EDT 2001

Steve Keri wrote:

> Can someone give me examples of apps you can develop with scripting
> languages and maybe give examples of programs that are not a good idea
> w/ python and it should be left up to C++ and VB. Thanks a lot!
>
> -Steve

That's a pretty big question. The first two scripting languages that
always come to my mind are Python and Perl. Between the two, you can
carry out just about any high-level task. I'm really not aware of
anything that VB is *better* for than the others, but C/C++ is the de
facto choice for many programmers' low-level programming tasks.

The classic example I normally see mentioned is device drivers. You just
can't write these in Python, but C makes it possible. C is also used for
speeding up parts of programs the rest of which are written in Python or
Perl. You can also use C to write a language like Python.

Rob
--

Useless Python!
Kinda like the AOL of the Open Source Community 3;->