Python vs. Perl

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Thu May 24 21:49:04 EDT 2001

François Pinard wrote:

> [Jonathan Gardner]
>
>> On Thursday 24 May 2001 01:56 pm, Thomas Wouters wrote:
>
>> > And if that isn't enough reason, there's more! Writing code in Python
>> > is very easy, because you can write code almost as fast as you can
>> > type.
>
>> Is it true?  I've heard rumors of Python programmers programming as fast
>> as they can write...
>
> This might indicate that typing is the programming bottleneck, this is not
> good.  Typing should not significantly slow down the act of programming.

Typing is not actually a bottleneck. What this refers to is that flow type
period that many programmers get into. When the code just seems to flow
from your fingertips and you can write code as fast as you can type.
However if you have to look anything up or remember how something works
that usually ends the flow. I find python very useful because I can stay in
the flow longer.