GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Thu May 17 17:09:15 EDT 2001

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Has anyone (reading this) had experience with running Python under both
> Windows and Linux/Unix on the same machine (or equivalent machines)?  If
> so, have you noticed any advantages either way?  (Other than the issue of
> prebuilt versus compile-your-own binaries.)

I am presuming that by Windows you mean Windows NT or Windows 2000 -
Windows 95, 98 and ME are, IMHO, not suitable for any sort of serious
work, lacking security, robust virtual memory, process isolation and
seem to be prone to crashing at a moment's notice. Windows NT/2000 are
acceptable for real work - I use them at the office every day (under
muttered protest) and they do the job. I use GNU/Linux on a laptop. For
me the biggest functional difference is in the amount of memory
available for use by Python after the operating system and typical
applications (such as a Web browser and email client) have been loaded.
This is important because I need to manipulate large data structures
using Python lists and Numeric Python arrays. Both the Windows NT/2000
machines and the Linux laptop have 128 MB of RAM. On the Windows NT
machine there seems to be about 20 MB left for Python in-memory data
structures before  it starts hitting the swap file. About 10MB on the
Windows 2000 machine. On the Linux laptop, I have about 85 MB available.
That is a significant difference. Of course, memory is cheap and I
should arrange to buy some more for the Windows desktops...

Tim Churches