Help with Tkinter and MacPython

Russell E. Owen owen at astrono.junkwashington.emu
Tue May 29 19:45:11 EDT 2001

If you don't get a more helpful answer from a more knowledgeable user,
it might help to tell us:
- what version of Python?
- what version of Mac OS?

I have found Tkinter to be solid under Python 1.5.2, 2.0 and 2.1 with a
few exceptions:
- user-added menus seem to have crashing bugs under all versions (I
suspect bugs in Tk, not Tkinter, since I also tried Tk and had bad
things happen)
- file events are broken in Mac Python 2.0 and 2.1
- 1.5.2 doesn't install Tkinter quite correctly, but the fixes are easy
(I think just adding items to the search path). Both 2.0 and 2.1 install
Tkinter perfectly
- 1.5.2 (and possibly later versions) act very badly if you use "enter
interactive mode after script"

Also, there are at least two standard gotchas, both well documented in
the ReadMe:
- All versions of MacPython require you to drop a script on
PythonInterpreter. Never try to run Tk scripts in Python IDE!
- MacPython 2.0 and 2.1 must be used in Classic mode to run Tkinter
scripts, because there is no Carbon version of Tkinter.

-- Russell