GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Terry Reedy reedy37 at home.com
Fri May 18 03:19:21 EDT 2001

"Terry Reedy" <reedy37 at home.com> wrote in message
news:97WM6.478$uk2.228879 at news1.rdc2.pa.home.com...
> Has anyone (reading this) had experience with running Python under both
> Windows and Linux/Unix on the same machine (or equivalent machines)?  If
> so, have you noticed any advantages either way?  (Other than the issue of
> prebuilt versus compile-your-own binaries.)

Someone emailed 'Is this a troll'?  No.  I currently have a Win98 machine
and wonder if there might be good enough reasons to add Linux to this or my
next machine, perhaps within the next year.

By binaries, I was thinking of extension modules like PIL, wxPython, etc
for which the developers have often made Windows binaries but not
everything else.

Summary of what read so far.  Answer depends on priority.  For heavy-duty
standalone Python programs, running under Linux might well give more room
and more speed.  For application automation, Windows/COM still easily beats
Linux.

Thanks again for the responses.

Terry J. Reedy