libraries for plotting

David M. Cooke cookedm+news at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon May 7 14:16:39 EDT 2001

At some point, "John J. Lee" <phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2001, Helmut Michels wrote:
>
> > Walter Moreira wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, Python people.
> > >
> > > I was browsing the Plotting resources section on Python.Org and there are some
> > > broken links (pgplot, plplot, ppgplot). What package do you suggest me for
> > > plotting? It looks that there are many but some are small or not manteined any
> > > more. I found Biggles on Parnassys but didn't try it yet.
> > > DISLIN looks good, but it is not free :-(
> > >

> For simple plots of mathematical functions, there is biggles, but I've
> never used it.

I use biggles (http://biggles.sourceforge.net) for quick plots from
the interpreter of my data. It's easy to learn and use. It has a
simple TeX emulator so you can put superscripts, subscripts, and many
math symbols in your text.

For production plots, I use xmgrace. (There is an Python interface
floating around somewhere, but I usually use it standalone.)