PythonCom, events, and VB

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu May 31 12:55:24 EDT 2001

Hi

I'm pretty new to Python, and already wish that I could do all
my coding in it.  But of course job conditions rarely allow
that... :)

I'm trying to write a Python COM server, which will run inside of a
third-party application's VBA scripting environment.  This in itself is
no problem, I've read the examples in the pythoncom distro, and the most
helpful "Python Programming on Win32" book, so creating a COM server is
no big deal.  The difficult part is that I want to be able to fire events
from my server.  I've been trying to figure out how to do so by looking
through ...\pythoncom\demos\connect.py and such, and searching through
the usenet archives, and I fear that I may be getting totally lost. :)  My
only real experience with COM is through PythonCom/VB, and my c++ is not
so good, so I'm not following everything.  Could someone give me a quick
description of what steps I need to take in order to create/use an events
interface?  I've seen several discussions which dive deep into esoteric
details that are way beyond me, but no general overview, which is what
I really need.

Many grateful thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this....

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International