What can you do in LISP that you can't do in Python

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Tue May 22 13:27:51 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:
> but unevaluated code, with parameters.  And the only, let's
> say, "limitation", compared to lambda, is that you have to
> give the function a _name_.  That's a pretty modest limitation:-).

Nope. You have to give it a name *and* you have to write it somewhere
outside of the statement (and maybe function) that's using it. I.e.,
you've violated the style of both OO and structured programming.

Now you need to give it a doc string, pass in the arguments that would
normally be in scope in a language designed to work with such blocks,
etc.

It's not just making up a name, after all.

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
       San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.