Choosing a programming language as a competitive tool

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue May 8 23:25:53 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.989308213.17078.python-list at python.org>, Bruce Sass wrote:

>My first introduction to "vector" in computing was...
>
>"Interrupt Mode 2 (Vectored Interrupts)
>
>... It is a powerful mode which allows automatic vectoring of
>interrupts.  The interupt vector is an address supplied by the
>peripheral device which generated the interrupt, and used as a memory
>pointer to the start address of the interrupt-handler routine."[1]

>[1] How to Program the Z-80, Rodnay Zaks, 1981

Along with the daisy-chain interrupt request/acknowlege scheme (very similar
to DEC Q-BUS and others), it was a very nice system: extensible with no
conflicts.  I really can't believe we're still using Intel's
obsolete-in-1978 IRQ# hack on modern motherboards.  :(

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'd like some JUNK
                                  at               FOOD... and then I want to