Feasibility: out-of-process automation server

Bill Bell bill-bell at bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca
Fri May 25 12:09:28 EDT 2001

I am working on an experimental system involving Internet Explorer
(IE). What I would like to build is an automation server (that would
expose an interface that would be accessible to an explorer bar
running in IE). For reasons that would be obvious to anyone on this
list I'd like to build it in Python!

System features:

- at most one copy of the server EXE to be running at any given
instant
- possibly more than one copy of IE
- server GUI using wxPython (say)
- since each copy of the explorer bar is being driven by the user I'm
assuming that I needn't do anything very clever about concurrency

Questions: Is this possible? Could you please suggest an example
(preferably a simple one for a Python newbie)? Advice? Sources of
ideas and concepts?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bill Bell, Software Developer