pydoc req thread; readline req NO thread

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon May 7 11:11:42 EDT 2001

Randall Hopper <aa8vb at yahoo.com> writes:

> Is there a workaround for this problem?  I hope I don't have to make
> a choice between Python command-line editing and Python browsable
> documentation.
>
> Currently, I have to explicitly compile Python without thread support so
> Python won't lock up when Ctrl-C is pressed in a Python shell (IIRC
> readline isn't thread-safe).

Are you on Irix?  There seem to be problems with threads & signals &
readline there.  (It's not really thread-safety that's the problem -
there's usually only one thread running in an interactive interpreter
after all).

> However, with that configuration, I can't run 'pydoc -g'?
>
> Is there a work-around for this?

Can't think of one other than building two versions of python, one for
using pydoc with that enables threads, and one for interactive use
that doesn't.

Or try and work out why readline doesn't work with threads on Irix...

> Say, a command-line option to disable threads, magic for
> $PYTHONSTARTUP that disables threads, etc.?

It's more complicated than that unfortunately.

Cheers,
M.

--
  A witty saying proves nothing.                           -- Voltaire