ANN: wxDesigner commercial RAD tool

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Wed May 30 07:05:02 EDT 2001

bernhard at intevation.de (Bernhard Reiter) wrote in message news:<9f1c5r$1ln7g$2 at ID-89274.news.dfncis.de>...
> In article <LWSQ6.26352$lY3.6178309 at typhoon.midsouth.rr.com>,
> 	"Bill Wilkinson" <bwilk_97 at yahoo.com> writes:
> > wxDesigner is cool.  Well worth the small amount it costs.
>
> I don't mind paying for it, when it is good _and_ Free Software.
> 	Bernhard

Here starts a long discussion on what should or should not be
commercial, proprietary, gratis or open. As far as I am concerned,
it's up to the market to decide whether or not wxDesigner, mxODBC or
whatever is worth paying for, licensing and so on. After all, there's
always Boa, and various open-source database access libraries to
contribute to.

If one doesn't get along with mxODBC's licence, for example, one can
always wrap libiodbc or something. It's been so long since I did
anything with SWIG that I haven't really done anything in that area,
but perhaps the effort required in following through on such projects
really does justify the commercial nature of mxODBC and friends.

Paul