wxPython or TKinter?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu May 17 11:39:38 EDT 2001

"Hanna Joo" <hanna at chagford.com> writes:

> wxPython is wonderful and all that, but execution is very slow. I tried
> py2exe, but 1. output file is huge 2. it is also slow. I think Tkinter is
> more mainstream. Are there distinct advantages? Is there a way to speed up
> wxPython?

In my experience, wxPython itself (in terms of the interface) performs
very well wherever I've tried it.  Since the actual UI elements are in
most cases, the native controls themselves, they operate just as when
used in any other application.  In what respect is the execution slow
for you and are you sure that the performance is related to the
interface and not to something else that the code is doing?

The biggest wart that I see currently is that the wxPython DLL is a
monolithic beast that can impose a number of seconds worth of startup
time penalty just to get loaded, but other than that it has behaved as
well as any other native application for me.

There are, of course, some behaviors that can lead to slower
performance (for example, constantly appending to a multi-line text
entry field requiring it to scroll as the updates are made) but
they're pretty much the same sorts of limitations you'd find no matter
what language was manipulating the control.

Also, if you are doing a bunch of processing in the same thread that
has to process events, you can make your UI sluggish very easily, but
again that's a common problem with event driven UI programs not not
Python/wxPython specific.

--
-- David