Range Operation pre-PEP

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Thu May 10 08:11:10 EDT 2001

At 15:38 10/05/01 +0400, Roman Suzi wrote:
>There is no demand for syntactically supported ranges?

Yes, I think it would be a nice addition, and I'm sure we're not alone -
many people on the group contributed with ideas on this topic. While I
understand that there are some issues with the proposal - including or
excluding the upper limit, using braces to delimit the range, or how to
specify the step operator - I believe that the concerns are mostly in the
reaction-to-change field.

So, if we can propose a new syntax that:

- is clear for both novices and experienced Python programmers
- does not break anyone's code
- is consistent with related features (slicing and list comprehensions)

... there will be no real reason not to make it.

p.s. I was one of the guys that wrote about 'creeping featurism' a few
months ago. I don't think that it is a good idea, and many PEPs were really
weird. Now, this seems to be a very simple addition to me, because we can
meet the three criteria above. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but please,
let's talk about facts, not emotions, ok?

Carlos Ribeiro