ANNOUNCE: pyrepl 0.5.0 (was: ANNOUNCE: Readline Alternative 1.2)

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sun May 6 12:49:55 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Hudson" <mwh at python.net>
Subject: ANNOUNCE: pyrepl 0.5.0 (was: ANNOUNCE: Readline Alternative 1.2)

> I think it's finally time to release my line reader I've been working
> on on and off for about a year now: pyrepl 0.5 (it used to be called
> pyrl, not that many people heard of it at all).  I've been beating on
> it a bit in the last few weeks, and I think it's ready for a wider
> audience.  Only tested on Linux; should work on unix in general
> (wherever termios and curses get built) and should be relatively easy
> to port to windows using /F's console library.

Cool.  If you had released this a couple of weeks ago I might never have
written mine.

Still, I'll probably continue hacking at my much-less-complete(r)
replacement,
as it is small and light codewise and I'm already using it. ;-)

    http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html

/F's console library gives me nothing but headaches (spelled fatal
exceptions)
but I had already written my own console extension before I even heard about
his; otherwise I'd have rebuilt /F's from source and run it through some
debugging.

My Windows environment is a bit non-standard, which often explains such
problems.  (My Linux box is a bit non-standard and runs like a champ).