extension: How to set up additional dependencies in Setup.in

Harald Kirsch kirschh at lionbioscience.com
Mon May 21 03:46:25 EDT 2001

I am implementing a python extension. It contains python specific code
as well as python independent code. The independent code is captured
in a library. How can I state that the module's shared object is
dependent on the library (except by hacking the Makefile)?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have the problem of linking it in. It is
just that `make' does not do anything if only the independent library
was changed.

Example:

In Setup.in I have

*shared*
wom wommodule.c -L../wom -lwom

This results in a Makefile which builts wommodule.so whenever
wommodule.c was changed, but when I change and rebuilt ../wom/libwom.a
nothing happens.

  Harald Kirsch