Newbie Question About Python, Tcl/Tk and X-Windows

Russell E. Owen owen at astrono.junkwashington.emu
Tue May 8 16:55:59 EDT 2001

In article <BpWJ6.45403$sP6.2915889 at news3.aus1.giganews.com>,
 "John Branthoover" <jbranthoover at yahoo.com.NOSPAM> wrote:

>Hello All,
>    Can anyone tell me if Tcl/Tkinter can be installed on a Unix machine
>with out xwindows?  We are running Python 1.5.2 on a LynxOS (not running
>xwindows) box.  I would like to get some method of GUI interface that can be
>used with Python.  Any information will greatly appreciated.  Thank you for
>your time and have a nice day.

Tkinter, wxPython and the other GUI python packages I've heard of all
require a windowing environment for GUI programming -- X on unix or the
built-in windowing software on MacOS and Windows.

However, if you just want text in multiple (nonoverlapping) windows, you
might be able to use the "curses" library. If you are interested, see
the on-line Python manuals for more information. I'm afraid I have no
idea if curses runs on LynxOS.

-- Russell