[Doc-SIG] [development doc updates]

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Wed May 30 01:51:04 EDT 2001

[Fred Drake]
> The development version of the documentation has been updated:
>
> 	http://python.sourceforge.net/devel-docs/
>
> Incremental update for development version of Python (2.2).
>
> Mostly small updates, but I've worked on new markup for grammar
> productions used in the Reference Manual.  Currently, only the lexical
> productions in Chapter 2 of the manual have been converted to the new
> markup and layout.  Please take a look and send comments to
> doc-sig at python.org; the first page containing these changes is at:
>
>     http://python.sourceforge.net/devel-docs/ref/identifiers.html
>
> The changes needed to implement the markup have not been checked in
> yet, and there are some bugs in the implementation (both for HTML and
> PDF), but this should make the productions easier to navigate.

Let me suggest starting with

    http://python.sourceforge.net/devel-docs/ref/integers.html

instead, and clicking on "digit" in the "hexdigit" production.  The problem
with the originally suggested page is that all the links point into the same
paragraph, so "nothing happens" when you click one.  But "digit" was the
cause of a bogus bug report, as the submitter didn't realize "digit" had
been defined earlier in the docs, and without something like these mondo
cool new links it's almost impossible to find cross-section production
definitions.

Stumbled into one glitch:  nonzerodigit doesn't resolve correctly; the
node24.html page it refers to doesn't seem to exist.