Range Operation pre-PEP

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Tue May 15 18:08:43 EDT 2001

"Just van Rossum" <just at letterror.com> wrote in message
> Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
>
> > Is sys.stdin going to be a line iterator? Why?
>
> Convenience?
>
>   for line in file:
>
> I think that's pretty awesome. And once you see it, it makes you
> wonder why it hasn't always worked like that...

I guess so. I remember making the suggestion of

  for line in file.lines:

and

  for char in file.chars:

I see that lines are used in the PEP (and the CVS version),
and I guess it's a very reasonable default.

  for line in sys.stdin:

seems like a very Pythonesque way of spelling the
abhorrent

  while (<>) {
  }

:)

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick