Hypercard scripting like Python

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Sat May 12 18:27:10 EDT 2001

In article <989411291.3af937db5ad68 at www.netspace.net.au>,
abulka at netspace.net.au says...

> In the world of computer languages there is a distinction between statically
> typed systems programming languages, VS. the loosely typed late-binding
> scripting languages.  C++, Java, Delphi are examples of the former and Python,
> Hypercard, FORTH, Lisp, Smalltalk examples of the latter.  Each paradigm has
> its strengths and weaknesses.
>
> I've always used both styles of language, and have even grown to love a systems
> programming language - Delphi.  But I remember FORTH rocked (in its day) and
> Python certainly rocks now (be still my heart :-).  I've also have a lot of
> time for hypercard style scripting languages esp. the more pure and orthogonal
> Toolbook Openscript (which unfortunately is now expensive and become a niche
> product).
>
> (Remember when Windows 3.1 came out - Toolbook was bundled with it, to match
> the bundling of Apple's Hypercard with Macs - the "programming languages for
> the rest of us".  Not sure why all that fizzled out - better open source
> alternatives evolved I guess.)
>
> My questions are:
>
>  1. Where does Python fit into the history of scripting languages. How
> important is it in grand scheme of things, and specifically in the context of
> the scripting 'movement'?  I mean, is Python state of the art in the scripting
> world - something that history will look upon with fondness, the way we look
> upon Smalltalk with a certain fondness?
>
>  2. Can anybody tell me who begat Toolbook/Openscript/Hypercard/Metacard - were
> these just variations of well known established scripting systems from the
> 50's - or was there new innovation involved there.  Perhaps the merging of an
> easy GUI metpahor with scripting was their contribution... Thoughts?
>
> cheers,
> -Andy Bulka
> Australia
> abulka at netspace.net.au
> www.atug.com
> www.goreason.com

> This mail sent through IMP: www.netspace.net.au

Asymetrix Toolbook was a clone of Hypercard developed by Bill Gate's
buddy and former partner Paul Allen. Last I heard, it was still going as
a Computer Based Training product. AFAIK, it didn't do well "in the box"
with Windows 3.0 and was soon droppped (as I recall, the "in-box" product
was either an eval or so "light" as to be un-useful).

Metacard was likewise a Hypercard clone - it's authors used to push it
and contrast it with Tcl on comp.lang.tcl - although I don't think many
of us bought their arguements - or the pricy product!

Possibly the forerunner of all of these (my dates are a bit fuzzy, so I
could be wrong) was a product called 'Framework' by Ashton-Tate (DBase
developers who sold it all to Borland later. It had it's own gui, so it
was pre-windows. It had the same notion as Hypercard of putting the
scripts for the "front" of the display page/screen on the "back". I
thought Framework showed a lot of promise, but I think it died along with
Mr. Ashton (or was it George Tate?), and AFAIK Borland never did anything
with it after purchasing Ashton-Tate.

Dave LeBlanc