Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Tue May 15 00:23:01 EDT 2001

Courageous wrote:

> (dolist), which is identical in
> function to Python's for: form, and (map) which is identical in function
> to Python's map/lambda

It's the same in Scheme -- (foreach ...) if you don't want
a result and (map ...) if you do. There's no need to use
recursion just for traversing a list! (Not explicitly,
anyway - the implementation might well use recursion
under the covers.)

For doing more complicated things, there's also a general
iteration construct (called (do ...) if I remember correctly)
but the syntax is so frigging hard to remember that it's
often easier and clearer to write it recursively even if
you don't strictly need to.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg