ConfigParser module in 1.52 is buggy?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue May 29 16:38:11 EDT 2001

Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> writes:

> But then you'll have to ask yourself: do you want to do that forever ? Why
> aren't you just upgrading to 2.1 and admiring the full set of new features
> and enhancements that you'll get for free ? :)

I don't know about anyone else, but as a data point I'm still at 1.5.2
(except for duplicate interpreters on my development machine that I
use for testing) because that's what my installed base is at, and
planning and then executing a global upgrade across hundreds of
locations with thousands of machines is a non-trivial endeavor.  Not
to mention that 1.5.2 is working fine for me.

I'll definitely move off of 1.5.2 eventually, but picking the right
move (e.g., if I had moved to 2.0 I'd barely be done before 2.1 showed
up anyway) takes time, planning and resource.  If I had run into an
issue such as this, it would likely be far simpler for me to update a
single 1.5.2 module than to switch over to 2.x.  The process of
deployment acts as a dampener between the fairly quick recent set of
releases and my use of them in the field.

So while the 2.x series may be the latest and greatest, there are
definitely circumstances where one wouldn't be using them right away.
After all, there may have been 2 years of development since 1.5.2 as a
separate post of yours mentions, but it's only been ~7 months since
2.0 was production, which is not that long a timeframe for distributed
installed bases.

--
-- David