Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Evan Jones EvanJ at eyron.com
Wed May 9 10:24:34 EDT 2001

> > What sort of teaching did the rest of you that took computer science
> > courses get?

	For my undergrad I studied maths at Queensland Uni (Australia).  I
took a few comp sci courses as I went through and they started gently with
Pascal to give us a chance to work out which way up the keyboard went before
they started on more theoretical stuff.

	My wife however has just taken a few first year courses at Tel-Aviv
where the comp sci course starts with enough maths to kill an elephant
--"Lets study combinatorics from a functional perspective, say, look here's
an interesting generating function!"--  and after you have familiarized
yourself with Hilbert spaces, its time to write a Scheme compiler in
Scheme.... Apparently it gets easier in the second year.

	Uru

	Evan