Long names are doom ?

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Sat May 26 02:51:42 EDT 2001

Nick Perkins wrote:
>what if you wanted to name, say, a function
>with a string so that you could include spaces?
>...just a silly idea.
>ok, i'll go to bed now.

Something like that came up last year, with
the proposed syntax of

  obj."attribute with spaces in the name"

As I recall, people thought it interesting, but that's
as far as it went.  I don't think there were any
definite implementation reasons against it.  But no one
could get a solid reason to have it, and for those
few cases where that functionality was needed

  getattr(obj, "attribute with spaces in the name")

works.

BTW, in your proposal,
  fn['my special function']()

the [] syntax could be confused with list/dict lookup.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org