Encryption/Compression problem using a RDBMS

Scherer, Bill Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com
Mon May 21 12:16:24 EDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Thomas Weholt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to store encrypted and/or compressed XML in a text-field in a RDBMS,
> currently PostgreSQL. But it crashes in inserts due to the fact that the
> process of compressing or encrypting gives a lot of "unprintable" characters
> in the result data to be stored.
>
> Does anybody know any way of doing this? Can a algoritm return data that's
> friendly in the sense that it doesn't contain special characters that may
> cause trouble?
>
> Any hints are welcome, even if applicable to PostgreSQL only.

I'm assuming PostgreSQL does not support BLOB's or you have a good reason
not to use them, So..  Why not use a traditional method of encoding 8bit
data into 7bit data,  ie. Base64 and ilk?