Which book can be translated?

Mark Pilgrim f8dy at diveintopython.org
Wed May 23 02:34:58 EDT 2001

in article ce82f84e.0105221624.3583c2c9 at posting.google.com, limodou at
chatme at 263.net wrote on 5/22/01 8:24 PM:

> I'm learning Python now, and I want to introduce it to my friends. But
> many friends of mine know English little, so I wish to translate
> Python books. But I don't know which book can be translated without
> the trouble of copyright.
>
> Can anybody give me a books list? Thanks.

My first reaction was to say "mine, mine" (http://diveintopython.org/), but
then I realized that you've already translated it.  When you contacted me to
tell me about your translation last month, I tried and tried to get in touch
with you through e-mail and through your web site, and it all bounced; I
have no idea why.  So this thank-you note is long overdue, and
inappropriately public, but I hope you will forgive that:

"Thank you very much for all your hard work!  Other people have been working
to translate the book into other languages (Italian, Turkish), but you are
the first to publish any result.  I have put your translation on
diveintopython.org, and I have included a link to your site.  See
http://diveintopython.org/cn/

If you want, please continue to translate the rest of the book.  I am still
writing the book, with new pages and improvements to old pages.  When I have
a new version, I can let you know so you can translate the new pages.  And
when you have a new version, you let me know, and I will update my copy on
my site."

My girlfriend (who can read Chinese) pointed out that you wrote in your
preface that you were concerned that your translation might violate the
license.  In fact, it does not, as long as you publish your translation
under the same license (which you did).

There is another book, "How to think like a computer scientist (Python
edition)", at http://ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/, which is also published
under the same license as my book.  You could freely translate that one as
long as you published your translation under the same license.

The Python tutorial has already been translated into Chinese, at
http://coder.9ug.com/language/script/python/tut_tw/tut.html, but I have no
idea if it is maintained or up to date.  Perhaps you could get in touch with
the author (listed on the site) and coordinate a joint project.

Thank you again for your translation efforts.  You increase the amount of
knowledge in the world.  Keep up the good work.

-M
You're smart; why haven't you learned Python yet?
http://diveintopython.org/