Design-by-Committee

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Fri May 4 18:14:15 EDT 2001

David wrote:

> >Python *is* implemented by a designated group of people whereas there
> >was a time when only Guido touched the code. But nobody adds anything
> >that Guido doesn't want.
>
> Most reassuring!
>
> Is the primary focus these days on adding new language
> features/commands/components, or on cleaning up the existing codebase?

I think you could say: "both". Since the 2.1 release, Guido has been
mostly working on adding features that clean up nasty corners of Python
like hacking __getitem__ to pretend to be an iterator and clearing up
the distinction between types and classes. The biggest feature of 2.1
was nested scopes which is another long-standing "cleanliness" complaint
that people have had.

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.