Solaris Weirdness with 2.1

Robert Roy rjroy at takingcontrol.com
Wed May 16 07:35:17 EDT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001 22:29:23 -0500, "Ben Wolfson"
<wolfson at uchicago.edu> wrote:

>In article <200105151505.LAA18242 at smtp3.andrew.cmu.edu>, "Michael P
>Collins" <mc7f+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to install Python 2.1 on a Solaris box and have run
>> into the following error messages during the make, any thoughts?
>
>I've also got what may be a Solaris-related problem (at least, it's
>happened on Solaris), so I'll piggyback.  I can compile Python just fine,
>but the following happens when I try to import the socket module:
>
>harper:~> tmp/python/bin/python
>Python 2.1 (#1, May 14 2001, 21:05:03)
>[GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on sunos5
>Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "/tmp/scratch/python/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
>    from _socket import *
>ImportError: ld.so.1: tmp/python/bin/python: fatal: libssl.so.0: open
>failed: No such file or directory
>>>>

>There is a libssl.so.0 -- what do I have to do to enable Python to pick
>it up?
>
>--
>Barnabas T. Rumjuggler
>"Et tu, Brute?" sedulous.
> -- barry in indy, in apihna

I have had the same problem at time because I have some libraries in
non-standard locations.

If libssl.so is not on one of the standard library search paths, it
won't be found. There is an environment variable that the dynamic
loader looks at that you can use set to add additional paths

eg (under sh)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:mypath1/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I am 99% sure I have the name of the variable right, but since I don't
have access to my office machine from home ...

Hopefully this will work for you.

Bob