Python vs. Perl

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 15:25:51 EDT 2001

"Jonathan Gardner" <gardner at cardomain.com> wrote in message
> C/C++: I'll admit that in C++ STL some interpreters have problems with
> templates that have template types that are templates themselves. For

Buggy implementations are indeed a C++ bane (part of the issues
with a very complicated language), but this particular bug isn't.

> instance, map<int, map<int, string>> fails in at least the Microsoft
> compiler, but you can use typedefs to get around that. It is wordy, and
not

Or just remember that >> is a different token and leave a space there...?

> Conclusion: C++ is messy, but not impossible.

No, just very improbable.

> Perl: %hash = (a=>{a=>'b', b=>'c', c=>'a'}, b=>{...etc...}); This is
pretty
> Python excels at dictionaries. Frankly, I find python's syntax a bit
> burdensome and wordy.

hash = {a:{a:'b', b:'c', c:'a'}, b:{et:c}}

How is this "burdensome and wordy" compared to the Perl syntax
you just quoted so admiringly...?!

Alex