Variable inheritance

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Wed May 23 08:24:59 EDT 2001

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>   Easy. Think you are working with object of some classes. Let say there
>are Animals and ColorThings. Imagine us constructing Animals hierarchy:

This is *far* from a real situation. Your base classes are absolutely
disjunct, and very close to abstract (not completely abstract because some
implementation is provided, but not enough to make the base class useful on
its own).

Most textbooks examples of MI are just like yours - simple but not
realistic. For the most part, real classes are much more complex, and it is
nearly impossible to have such clear and completely disjoint definitions.
There (almost) always some overlap, leading to name clashes and other kinds
of trouble.

The solution is to use mixins for all base classes. But in the end, the
result is not very different than the ones achieved by aggregation. IMHO,
aggregation leads to a cleaner approach.

There is also another subtle conceptual problem with the example that is
very hard to deal with. Colors are not true "objects"; colors are
attributes (or properties) of a given object and as such much more abstract
in its nature than other objects. Its pretty common for objects to have
several such attributes. Only when an attribute has some intrinsic behavior
associated with it we could *realistically* talk about defining a class and
then using multiple inheritance to build new classes with such *behavior*
(not *attribute*).

One could argue that the meaning of  "objects" in programming is really so
different from real world objects that such talk is nonsense. If so, the
very meaning of "inheritance" in object oriented programming has to be
rethought, because it is fundamentally based on our real world experience.

Carlos Ribeiro