Choosing a programming language as a competitive tool

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sun May 6 10:41:07 EDT 2001

>Stephen Slade, Object-Oriented Common Lisp

Yeah, that's the best book to learn Lisp with that I know of.
Guy Steele for reference, the Slade book for "how do I do it?"

>"Lisp is a programmable programming language"

Cute phrase; this is, perhaps, Lisp's greatest virtue.

>But a question comes to my mind: is it useful to compare languages?

Absolutely.

>If the concept of a programmable programming language holds true then
>the question could be how you build with your extended Lisp just the solution
>for your problem.

Yes. This is why A.I. programmers like it, so much.

I'm torn, on this subject matter. It's the only piece of Lisp that I wish
Python had; however, it does risk complicating the language. I'd
happily add it as a non-standard patch for domain-specific solutions,
presuming that the non-standard patch in question was a supported
one.

C//