Newbie question

Pieter Claerhout Pieter_Claerhout at CreoScitex.com
Mon May 21 08:39:38 EDT 2001

Try:

D:\>python "1.py"

(provided the python.exe is somewhere in your path).

Cheers,

Pieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Kirk [mailto:pknews at kirks.net]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 2:46 PM
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Newbie question

Hi all,

I have read that Python is a good first language so I downloaded it and am
wading through a tutorial.  But I'm having silly problems that I can't work
out.

I run Win2k.  Python is in a folder called d:\python.  also in there is a
file called 1.py

At the command prpmpt, I cd to d:\python run python and enter python 1.py.
Error message is:

>>> python 1.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    python 1.py
            ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Clearly I'm doing something wrong but what?

All help appreciated!

Patrick Kirk
GSM: +44 7712 184 480
ICQ: 42219699

Wise Chinese Proverb:  "If tired of computer winning at real time strategy
games, try it at kick-boxing instead"