PNG library incompatibility b/t Python/Biggles

Tom Loredo loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Wed May 23 14:50:12 EDT 2001

Hi folks-

I've just installed Python 2.1 and also Biggles.  It's a local install
(not a sytem install---it's in a directory tree I own).  Our system
has an old version of libpng, and does not have a shared version of it,
so before building PIL, Python, and Biggles I built a copy of libpng
(shared & static).

When I run any Biggles commands that create a PNG file, I get an error:

libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

This is generated by libpng.  It appears that Python has linked to
an older version of libpng (presumably the .a version on our system,
since "ldd python" does not turn up any links to the shared version).
But I cannot find where Python may be linking to it; if I could find
the appropriate place in the Makefile or Setup file I could explicitly
point to the newer library.  I've installed many other Python
modules/extensions, but haven't been able to find a PNG link in any
of those, either.

Any clues as to what is linking to libpng other than Biggles itself
would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom Loredo