Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

bowman bowman at montana.com
Wed May 9 09:47:31 EDT 2001

"Laura Creighton" <lac at cd.chalmers.se> wrote in message

> What sort of teaching did the rest of you that took computer science
> courses get?

Fortran IV, on punchcards, and an incredible degree of hubris. Programming
chess moves was a common CS101 assignment, with a real world class chess
program to come, real soon now. Natural language translation would be done
when somebody got a few spare weeks to work on it. All on a system with less
resources than a Palm. My use of CS is an anachronism, as I don't think the
term occurred to anyone for a few more years.

went into hardware design on graduation, and stayed there for almost 15
years until I could pin a 8080 to the kitchen table and pull its little
wings off. Then, programming became fun.