Webmin & Python ?

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Sat May 5 13:00:17 EDT 2001

I am interested in developing some Webmin modules in Python.
http://www.webmin.com/webmin/

Webmin seems to be heavily Perl-based.
I don't know Perl and am not about to learn.
However the Module writers doc indicate that Webmin it is based on basic cgi
precedures so python should not present a problem..
http://www.niemueller.de/webmin/writers-help/

However it also states in
http://www.webmin.com/webmin/modules.html
<quote>
Modules can theoretically be written in any language. However, to make use
of the Webmin API Perl version 5.002 or above should be used. A module
should be written entirely in Perl, with no C functions or external binary
programs. The aim is for modules to be as portable as possible across
different Unix systems and CPU types.
</quote>

Does anyone here have any experience with Webmin?
Is Python a reasonable option?
What would python code lokk like whihc uses a Perl library?

If not, can you suggest alternatives for Pythonic Webmin-like devlopement?

What I want is a [Python compatible]framework for creating focused
user-friendly system and application admin interfaces through the web.

I am using Zope and it could be used via external methods etc. What I like
about Webmin is offers a lot of out-of the box functionality and seems to
have a small but growing community of developers making cool add-on modules.

I realize many might argue that it is much better to handle sysadmin the
old-fashioned way and just write some shell/python scripts and call those..
true enough. But Webmin has very easy to configure permsissions interface,
so that different users can only access certain modules. Clients seem to
really like it.

Also there are some tools which definitely save time [especially for lousy
typists like me] . For example the Webmin java file browser:
http://www.webmin.com/webmin/screens/file.html

ideas?
thanks

./Jason