Spatial Python, anyone?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Mon May 28 12:55:32 EDT 2001

I've recently discovered that I probably need to use
spatial access methods for some of my research,
possibly including techniques such as the R*-tree
and the hB^\Pi-tree... However, I don't know all
to much about how they work (I would like to use
them as black boxes), and I don't want to do too
much of my programming in C/C++... Therefore I thought
I'd wrap some standard implementations in Python.

But before doing so, I thought I'd check if anyone
else shared my interest, and would be willing to
help in some way. Perhaps we could start a small
"Spatial Python" project at SourceForge?

(For those who wonder: Spatial Access Methods are
about storing/retrieving multi-dimensional points
and/or regions. Can also be useful in indexing
other kinds of objects like sequences etc.)

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick