Against PEP 240

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue May 29 06:38:11 EDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Robin Becker wrote:

> I am strongly opposed to the intent of PEP 240. I would prefer the
> literal floats to remain. Let those that want infinite precision pay the
> price by adding an 'R' to their literals. This PEP seems purely biassed
> towards the needs of naive programmers and I feel that is wrong; this
> whole industry has grown up with the old style (and coped quite well).
> If naive users are to be the only designers we'll end up badly.

I agree with this too.

I wonder, why at all need such things?  Are there any standard library for
inf-precision in current Python version?  If so, was it tested long
enough?

(If such standard library exists, please, remind me it's name. Thanks)

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -