wanted book recommendation for Object Oriented Programming

Noel Rappin noel.rappin at openwave.com
Tue May 29 10:16:06 EDT 2001

 >I need a book every bit as excellent
>(and terse) as the rest of my list that teaches Object Oriented
>Programming to somebody who has never studied it.  If you know the
>books I listed, you will know the sort I want ... and if you _don't_
>know the books I listed do yourself a big favour make a present of
>them to yourself.
>
>I don't care what language is used for examples.  I want the concepts,
>not the cookbook.
>
>What should I get? And (if you have time) why?

You might want to try _Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia
Applications_
by Mark Guzdial.  It was created as a textbook for a sophomore level course
with students that had never done OO before.  It's pretty Squeak/Smalltalk
focused, but does talk about more general principles of OO
programming.  It's got nice, good-sized case studies for students to work
on.  For some positive reviews, you can check out the amazon page at:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130280283/o/qid=991145274/sr=2-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/107-6869609-0842956>.

Noel Rappin

Noel Rappin
Openwave
Principal Software Engineer, Internal Development
Noel.Rappin at openwave.com
(781) 274-7000 x305

The contents of this email message do not necessarily reflect the opinions
or programming practices of Openwave Systems.