Python for a PHP user, how do i...?

Eduardo Dominguez lalo_dominguez at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 11:35:28 EDT 2001

Disclaimer: I am not trying to compare, promote or bash
PHP nor Python. I want to learn Python and I am curious.

I am starting with Python, and I like it so far. But I still
miss some features from PHP. THis might be in python, but I
havent found them yet. If anyone can help me... :)

In PHP I can call "variable" functions like:
  $varName = "PrintDate";
  $varName(); // calls function "PrintDate"

Also, I can have variable variables, like:
  $tempVar = "myVar";
  $$tempVar = 1;
  echo $myVar; // echoes "1"

Can I get metadata of a class ?? for example, the name, my
parents name, etc ?

One thing I _really_ miss is an anotated manual. PHP
has a great one and that really helps people start with PHP.

How can I do this in Python ?

thanks in advance