ConfigParser module in 1.52 is buggy?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Tue May 29 20:54:48 EDT 2001

[Mike C. Fletcher]
> I seem to recall discussion of maintenance releases at some point in
> time.  Given that 1.5.2 is the largest installed base (or, at least,
> that's my impression, I suppose I might be wrong),

Nobody knows.  To judge solely from new bug reports and new downloads (the
only things we can actually *count*), 1.5.2 is dying.

> especially given the number of embedded systems where Python is used
> as a scripting system (and therefore updating is not possible for an
> end-user), I would consider updates to 1.5.2

That one lost me:  these embedded systems can't upgrade to a newer release,
but *can* upgrade to a new version of 1.5.2?  Fine, if they have some secret
hardware dependence on version number, we'll release 2.2 under the *name*
1.5.3 <wink>.

> to be a more important maintenance target then any of the later
> versions (maintenance as distinct from new development).

Guido asked for volunteers to produce a bugfix release for 1.5.2 about 6
months after it was release, as a sufficient number of critical bugfixes had
accumulated by then.  Nobody bit.

If somebody wants to produce a 1.5.2 bugfix release now, great!  They're in
for a hard job, but if they're game nobody at PythonLabs is going to object.

maybe-microsoft-will-step-in-to-fill-the-gap<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim