Spam handling (was Re: WWW.FNORB.COM)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu May 24 12:09:37 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.990715716.25975.python-list at python.org>,
Oleg Broytmann  <phd at phd.fep.ru> wrote:
>On 24 May 2001, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>> In article <gpcpgtssvprp2cdfrbm8k33fvjgujghjuh at 4ax.com>,
>> Georg Lohrer  <GeorgLohrer at gmx.de> wrote:

>>>Abuse-mail has been sent.
>>
>> Doesn't do any good.  c.l.py runs through a news/mail gateway; this spam
>> came in through the e-mail system, and there's no simple way to trace it
>> back.
>
>   SpamCop.net did a good job for me about this message.

You can't be sure of that.  If the original message used false headers,
the netnews spam will contain the false headers.  If you're reading this
off the mailing list, it's *possible* that Mailman preserves enough
headers for SpamCop to correctly identify the source, but I wouldn't bet
money on it.

Folks, spam fighting is a Good Thing, but ya gotta be careful you don't
nail the wrong person.  If "Christine Hall" is a real person whose
e-mail address is being forged, you've just harmed an innocent person.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"You do not make history; you can only hope to survive it."  --G'kar