Choosing a programming language as a competitive tool

John Schmitt jschmitt at vmlabs.com
Wed May 2 02:19:00 EDT 2001

Did we read the same article?  Was "American Beauty" about a good guy who
gets shot by a bad guy?

Yeah, he has biases, he's a Lisp guy and he explains it.  And, I didn't see
anything even remotely negative about Python.  He says that doesn't want to
live without macros.  I searched for your 'watered-down' quote and couldn't
find it.  I think that's your bias showing, not his.  :-)

And, I get to re-use a handy quote:

I'm sorry, was my bias showing again? :-)
                                    -- William Tanksley, 13 May 2000

So, no troll.  I've been lurking for a while and really dig Python, for what
it's worth.

What I got out of this was that choosing a good programming language can be
a competitive advantage.  Graham chooses Lisp.  For me this isn't a Lisp
versus Python thing.  I'm not big on cheap advocacy.  (See this article for
an explanation:
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/12/advocacy.html?wwwrrr_20001213.txt NB This is
article is mostly about Perl, specifically  Perl advocacy.)

Anyway, choosing Python makes good business sense for some applications and
that is something I can tell management.

John

PS Hopefully I guessed right about your email address.