Sockets manual for Python

Rob Andrews rob at jam.rr.com
Sat May 26 09:39:49 EDT 2001

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> Okay folks, here's a reasonable request. Because I can't find a decent
> tutorial on sockets in Python, I want to compile a ton of information on
> python sockets. There is a lot of stuff people need to know about sockets
> and processes and such before they go and write a server, and I wanted to
> try and collect all that information into one place. (man perlipc is a good
> example, but it is too limited).
>
> So, if you have a python tutorial about sockets you have written, send me
> the url. If you have some python code that uses sockets, and you think it
> is useful, send me the code. If you know of someone that already did what I
> am attempting, let me know as well. Or, if you are in the middle of doing
> this as we speak, let me see what you got and what you need.
>
> Don't bother mentioning the stuff that has already been mentioned on the
> list. I am looking at the groups.google.com archives of the list and I am
> pulling up some very useful stuff (including a neat little post by Guido on
> why SO_REUSEADDR isn't set by default!)
>
> --
> Jonathan Gardner
> Software Engineer, CarDomain Networks
> (425) 820-2244 x123
> gardner at sounddomain.com

Useless Python has one or two socket examples, including a chat
application with a GUI front end and (rot-13) encryption, which was
submitted as a solution to one of our Python Challenges.
http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/uselesspython6.html is where you can
find this example.

Mark Lutz's (really great) Programming Python, 2nd ed., which is quite
current, has a fine tutorial discussion of socket programming (and
nearly every other imaginable subject.... Go get this book!).

Did-I-mention-I-liked-the-book-ly yours,
Rob
--

Useless Python!
It's the right thing to do.