pydoc req thread; readline req NO thread

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon May 7 12:36:51 EDT 2001

Randall Hopper <aa8vb at yahoo.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson:
>  |Randall Hopper <aa8vb at yahoo.com> writes:
>  |Are you on Irix?  There seem to be problems with threads & signals &
>  |readline there.  (It's not really thread-safety that's the problem -
>  |there's usually only one thread running in an interactive interpreter
>  |after all).
>
> Currently building on IRIX,

Bingo!

> but this is a problem on FreeBSD as well (last time I checked).
> There's history in the list indicating other OSs are involved beyond
> these two: Linux, Solaris, etc. but I can't speak to that
> first-hand:

Linux was different, at least here; hitting C-c at the console would
dump you back to the shell, rather than hang.  That one turned out to
be a sigaction/signal mismatch which was benign unless linking the
threaded libc.  This was fixed on 2000-09-16, it seems:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=210611

which was just before Python 2.0 went out.  Did you try Python 2.0 on
FreeBSD?

>    http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=26beac649020a4bc,4

This one is at least using threads.  While there may be problems here,
I don't think they're the same ones.

>    http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=ae21611a105dff48,18

This is the thread I remember.  The linux reports seems patchy and
possibly readline version-dependent.  The Irix reports are pretty
clear: it doesn't work, ever.

My current theory is that this is a bug in readline.  Of course, if
anyone finds different, then I'm sure patches would be most gratefully
received!

>    http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=ea209632b56fa5c0,1

This is the old linux bug.  I'm pretty sure this one is dead.

>  |Can't think of one other than building two versions of python, one for
>  |using pydoc with that enables threads, and one for interactive use
>  |that doesn't.
>
> Arg.  Was hoping for a different answer ;-)

Sorry...

Cheers,
M.

--
  US elections
  For those of you fearing that the rest of the world might be