O(n^2) is bad - can it be fixed?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sat May 26 19:08:32 EDT 2001

Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> Do you have actual numbers here?

> Every you time you run a Python program, it emails detailed runtime
> statistics to Guido via a secret backdoor in the
> code.  And that's the real reason list.append() eventually slows down
> but only on systems like Windows with poor email
> performance <wink>.

No PSU secrets revealed here, folks, just move along. How come Tim
gets to reveal these things when I can't? I keep being cut off,
for instance if I try to reveal that

Darn. I'll try another secret: there are four official bots, the timbot, the
effbot, the martellibot and the

Hmpf. Anyway, this reminds me of Bill Gates' quantum optronic network
built into all windows versions. At nights when nobody is there in the
office, Bill uses that network to switch on all Windows boxes to use
them in a massive cluster just to finish the Windows XP compiles in time.

This explains why hackers commonly use alternative operating systems;
they're the ones that tend to be up late at nights and they don't like
yet another mysterious Windows behavior. It's spooky, all those
boxes spinning up in the dark, status lights blinking on, and then the
sounds of their harddrives crunching away into the night...

good-thing-I-can-still-reveal-minor-secrets-ly yours,

Martijn