Python takes all cpu time

Jaakko Holster jaakko at bitway.fi
Fri May 25 19:01:48 EDT 2001

Hello folks!

I am running python based Mpy3 software (www.thelocust.org/projects/mpy3/) on
my stand-alone mp3 player box. The problem is that python eats all cpu time.
Top shows around 99% for python process all the time, although the program is
not doing anything heavy. Mpy3 uses mpg123 to encode mp3s, but this damn
bad-behaving python causes mpg123 to skip. (well, Python is surely great
language)

The system worked fine before I cleaned the disk and re-installed all the
software (stupid me). Same (newest) versions of Mpy3 and Python was used
BEFORE and AFTER system upgrading, so I have no idea what went wrong.

Details:

Python 2.2.1
Newest Debian from the pool
Linux kernel 2.4.19-pre6

Maybe this cpu eating is known problem or something...? Any help is reeeally
welcome since I'm not Python geek and/or very skillfull at programming...